Some quick notes from the Genre lecture in 105MC:
- Aristotle was the first critic – in his ‘Poetics’ he categorised the theatre acts in two basic types: tragedy and comedy
- Taxonomy = categorising things
- genre has to do with content, narrative and FORM
- a popular technique in advertising – ‘topping and tailing’:
- ‘Genre makes us feel good, clever; we know what’s happening, we’re ahead!’ (Will Barton, lecturer)
- It’s getting hard to sell something that doesn’t fit into a genre -> it’s hard to predict audience, market, revenues etc.
- Genre is usually applied to ‘entertainment’ rather than to ‘art’ (Steve Dawkins)